April 18, 2016
If you haven’t registered yet, why not celebrate Earth Day on April 23, 2016 with great folks of all ages and abilities. There will be celebrities, clowns, mascots, towerrunning athletes from around the world and local dignitaries.
You will have fun and honest, you really can do it! 3 year olds and 100 year olds will be there making the climb one step at a time!
The climb is an easy walk if you pace yourself and take time to admire all the murals on each landing. It doesn’t have to be a race, but it certainly can be, if that is more to your liking!
AWA’s staff and board are proud to present this 25th Climb and Run for Wilderness in celebration of our work here in Alberta.
Please register today to participate, or just come on Climb day to support us and take part in all the free activities on the main mall level of the Calgary Tower.
We hope to see you on the stairs!
A Few Highlights
- All registered climbers are being entered into a draw on Thursday April 21 at 8pm for a chance to win 1 of 3 great prizes, for brunch, beer or dinner.
- Fun Climbers can start at any time between 9 am and noon; the doors are closed at noon when our awards ceremony begins.
- Run for Wilderness starts with the sound of the horn at 0800 and is a real spring season favourite. This is not your usual race; there is a 1km sprint and then a dash up the 802 stairs to the finish line. This year, to add to the fun and challenge, the Towerrunning World Association is making this the only Canadian stop on their world circuit. TWA has 5 invited international towerrunning athletes who will find themselves challenged by all of you. Winners (male and female) in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will each take home cash prizes.
- Endurance athletes will begin a 3 hour competition at 0900 to see who can climb 802 stairs, the most times, up and down!
- More than 25 booths and exhibitors will make the Wild Alberta Expo one of the most interesting ever. There are some great new booths, some sampling, crafts for children and a chance to meet great folks working in Alberta caring for wilderness and wildlife. There is live entertainment on the main level as well as the top of the tower throughout the event.
- Be sure to stop by the AWA booth to create your own wildlife flag. Completed Expo Passports will lead you to our display about Monarch Butterflies and a free native Alberta milkweed seedling to grow in your garden and help our Monarch Butterflies.
- Our faithful clowns Doc and Pyro will delight children of all ages on the observation deck as they create balloon animals for everyone. There’s free live entertainment; plenty of interesting folks (including 100 year old Richard Guy). Dignitaries, mascots and great fun for everyone are hallmarks of this annual event.
- The tallest gallery in the west (the stairwell within the Calgary Tower) has more than 170 murals painted by artists from all walks of life and telling a story about wilderness in Alberta. As well, winners of the Louise Guy Poetry contest are framed and mounted on one of the landings for your reading pleasure on the way up.
Please follow and engage with us on social media for a chance to win great prizes!
Come on out and meet new people and support the work AWA does all year round! We are looking forward to seeing you on April 23 for the 25th annual Climb and Run and the best Earth Day Event in the West!