Here you will find answers to a list of frequently-asked questions.
- How do I register for Alberta Wilderness Association’s Climb for Wilderness at the Bow Tower on April 22, 2017?
- I want to help but I don’t want to take part in the Climb. What can I do?
- Is there a registration fee?
- Can children climb the Bow?
- Can I register on the day of the Climb?
- Am I required to submit a liability waiver?
- I’ve registered, when do I receive a confirmation?
- I’ve registered but the site says “pending”?
- Do I have to register and pay for my baby in arms?
- Are you timing climbers this year?
- Can we register as a team?
- Are multiple climbs part of the event?
- Can I register more than one person at a time?
- What is the best way for people to sponsor my climb?
- I have received donations in the form of cash and/or cheques, what should I do with them?
- How much do I have to donate to receive a tax receipt?
- Are there prizes for leading fundraisers?
- Where is the Climb taking place?
- What time does the Climb start and finish?
- How do I pick up my t-shirt?
- Are coat check facilities available?
1. How do I register for Alberta Wilderness Association’s Climb for Wilderness at the Bow Tower on April 22, 2017?
To register click here. You will be guided through the registration process.
- Sponsor a Climber: If you know someone taking part in the Climb, find their personal page and sponsor them.
- Volunteer: We couldn’t run this event without volunteers !
If you are interested in knowing more about volunteer opportunities click here.
3. Is there a registration fee?
There is no registration fee but every climber must meet the minimum fundraising amount to be eligible to climb. The amounts are:
Age 16 and over: $75
Age 15 and under: $40
4. Can children climb the Bow?
Yes. There is no age restriction but climbers under 12 years of age must be accompanied by a registered adult climber during their climb and their parent must agree to the liability waiver.
All registered climbers, regardless of age, are required to raise the relevant minimum fundraising amount to participate.
6. Am I required to submit a liability waiver?
Yes. All climbers who registered online have already accepted the waiver during the registration process. For climbers under 18 years of age, their parent or guardian must accept the liability waiver.
7. I’ve registered, when do I receive a confirmation?
You should receive a confirmation email, to the email address provided during registration, a few minutes after you register. There’s a chance it went into your spam folder so be sure to check there.
If you haven’t received a confirmation email yet, please contact AWA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-283-2025.
8. I’ve registered but the site says “pending”?
Not to worry, all registrations are marked as pending until the full minimum $75 ($40 for age under 16) is raised. Once you’ve raised the minimum amount, your registration will no longer be marked as pending.
9. Do I have to register and pay for my baby in arms?
AWA is happy you will be bringing your baby with you. Any youngster who will be carried up the stairs does not need to be a registered participant. It was common for a strong 2 year old to make the climb at our previous event, the increase in the number of stairs may make it beyond the reach of a two year old.
10. Are you timing climbers this year?
Yes! We are happy to let you know that those climbers who would like to have their climb to the top officially timed will be issued with an electronic timing tag at the start. The tags will be collected at the finish. Names and times will appear on our website and we will award a prize to the fastest climber.
Yes, the camaraderie of a team of friends, colleagues and family is part of this event. We love the friendship and spirit so many individuals have brought to the event in past years as teams. Everyone from Elvis impersonators to Star Wars characters to school friends, to politicians, to corporate Calgary teams have joined the fun as individuals and as teams and we hope they will this year too. When you register you and your team members may identify yourself as part of a team. There is no other formal “team” arrangement to be made. We look forward to recognizing you as great supporters and fundraisers for this 26th Earth Day event.
12. Are multiple climbs part of the event?
This is a single climb event per registration. If you would like to climb more than once please register twice with a notation to your name (for example one with an initial or some way of indicating it is your 2nd registration) so that you may receive a second or third token for passing through the start gate when you check in on the morning of the event.
We are sorry but the registration software does not allow this option at this time. One good thing is that you can use the same email address for all your family related registrations but everyone will need their own username and password. We are here to help so don’t hesitate to contact us if you need any assistance.
1. What is the best way for people to sponsor my climb?
Online donations, on our secure website, are by far the best method. Your sponsors will be sent their charitable tax receipts immediately by email. Your personal fundraising page will register new donations as soon as they have been made online.
a. The sponsor can write the cheque to you in your name and you can log in to your personal fundraising page and enter the donation on your credit card under their name. These same steps apply for cash donations.
For this you will need the sponsor’s full name, full address, email address and phone number. This will then show up on your personal fundraising page and the system will email the sponsor a charitable tax receipt automatically.
b. The sponsor can write the cheque out to Alberta Wilderness Association and you can either mail this to the AWA in advance of the event, with your details, or submit the cheque at registration on event day along with your details.
Tax receipts for online donations are automatically emailed to you from our system. If you made a donation and have not received your receipt, please contact AWA at email@example.com or 403-283-2025.
For offline donations you will receive a tax receipt in the mail after the event.
4. Are there prizes for leading fundraisers?
Yes. Prizes can be found here.
Registration and Check-in opens at 8.00 am.
AWA accepts no responsibility or liability related to providing a place to store your belongings and asks for a nominal donation to support this service.
5. Is parking available in the vicinity of the Bow ?
Yes. Parking is available on the day of the event at:
- The Bow, entrances on 5th and 6th Avenues – weekend rate $5 per day
- James Short, entrances on 4th and 5th Avenues in the block between Centre Street and 1st Street SW – weekend rate $2 per day
We look forward to hearing from you!